Thursday 6 October 2016

Your song, Your Canvas.




Anyone who knows me well knows how often I draw comparisons between Art and Music. To me they are parallel worlds with lots of similarities. I came across a great artist by the name of Alexandr Onishenko who is from the Czech republic.
Alexandr Onishenko is an artist based in Prague, Czech Republic. Well known for his vibrant impressionist paintings, his work is exhibited throughout Europe and the United States. 
  On one of his exhibition videos someone said that the great appeal of Onishenko was that he always left something for the viewer to imagine, so that they could make that particular painting their own.
 What a cool idea that is! To actually create a work that not only connects with the person but also involves the person making it in a sense belong to them too!
   As singer songwriters we can do the exact same thing.  How?
 One of the key ways we can do this is by writing Lyrics that leave room for the imagination.
 That means not spelling things out exactly by being too specific but by leaving room for personal interpretation. One of my most popular songs is a song called Mr Angel. Mr Angel is about a specific person and also a specific event and whilst you can still close your eyes and imagine the song the very fact that the song tells the story you have to follow along. 
       The course I am currently enjoying conducted by Michelle Lockey who is a successful submitter to TV and Film Sync opportunities has been highlighting the need for universal lyrics, lyrics which are not specific but conveying feelings and emotions rather than facts such as places and names.
     Here are some of my Lyrics to a song I wrote called Drownin' I think you will see how this conveys a mood and feelings that leave a lot of room for imagination.

                                             
Drownin'

Whispering shadows on the wall,
They seem to know it all,
Every single little thing
And the moments that they bring

And when I lie awake,
The pictures that they make
Stay in my mind

Hanging lantern twirling round
Shifting patterns with no sound
And the voices in my head
Remind me of the things I said

And when I close my eyes
It makes me realise
I was so blind…I was blind

Aint nobody gonna save me from this place
That wraps me in delusion..there aint no saving grace
Aint nothing gonna take away the fear
That locks me in this bed
Keeps me lyin here……..slowly drownin without you.
                                            

        As songwriters we need to keep learning and branching out in our development. Michelle's course is making me re think things but also helping to polarise what I need to do as an artist but also someone who writes for Film and TV. For me at least I dont have a problem writing in different modes. If I see a guy in the street with a story that needs telling I will do that with my artist- singer songwriter head on. If a producer is looking for a certain something? Then I will write a song with a certain something in mind. It really isnt a problem.

      I hope you all have a great weekend and enjoy your growth and development as Singer songwriters if that's what you do, and if not, thanks for reading this article. Life is fascinating and I hope this article meant something to you.

   Speak soon, and feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you.  :)





 https://www.behance.net/gallery/1334485/Alexandr-Onishenko-Celebrating-20-Years-in-Prague
http://michellelockey.com/index.html

















       

No comments: